Raphael C.G. Trotman
Cabinet Minister, Guyana
Raphael Trotman is a lawyer and a politician in Guyana. He is now the Speaker of the National Assembly of Guyana.
Early life and education
Born in 1966 in New Amsterdam in Region #6 into a family of lawyers, is himself a family man, married to Nicola Denise Trotman, he is the father of four.
His contribution to influence the landscape of Guyana’s civil society, its politics and national development, commenced over a decade ago, when he was first elected a member of the Mayor and Councilors of the capital City of Georgetown (1994) and an elected a Member of Parliament since 1998.
Over the ensuing years, Mr. Trotman has gained significant experience in city and political government. He has been Chairman of the Legal Affairs and Security Committee of the City Council, and a member of several Parliamentary Select Committees from 1999-2001, including from 2001-2005, a member of the Foreign Relations and the Constitution Reform and Standing Order Committees of Parliament. He has participated as a member of a Study Mission to the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland to observe the “Good Friday” Peace Agreement and process, in 1998.
This son of the soil has also benefited from post graduate training at the National Defense University in Washington DC and from Harvard University – School of law. Mr. Trotman holds a Master's degree in International Relations from the prestigious Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy in Massachusettes, USA .
He has attended a British Government sponsored Workshop for Parliamentary Scholars and Parliamentarians in 2000 in the United Kingdom, and a World Bank Seminar on Parliament, Good Governance and Poverty Reduction in Helsinki, Finland, in 2003.
During 2005, Trotman was invited to participate in:
- The European Union Visitor Programme at EU headquarters in Belgium and Luxembourg in January, 2005.
- The United States Department of Defense sponsored Advanced Policy Making Seminar on: “Transformation, Defense and Security Challenges in the Caribbean”, Nassau, Bahamas, February, 2005.
- The United Kingdom Government sponsored visit to Houses of Commons and Lords and meetings with senior government officials in March, 2005.
- The United States International Visitor Leadership Program, April, 2005 which consisted of meetings with Senior Government and State officials in Washington, D.C., Lincoln, Nebraska, and Sacramento, California.
Proficient in Spanish, Mr. Trotman has two notable publications to his credit
- The Wars of the West Indies and the Threat of State Disintegration in Guyana, Trinidad & Tobago and Jamaica.
- International Dispute Resolution: The Guyana/Suriname Boundary Dispute Revisited.